Take a day trip to the Schilthorn, one of the best cable car journeys in Switzerland.
The mountain, with beautiful panoramic views of the Bernese Alps, was made famous in 1969 by Secret Agent 007 James Bond. Discover incredible mountain scenery, great hiking options and thrilling activities on this perfect day trip.
Schilthorn Day Trip Itinerary
- Take the Cable Car to the top of Schilthorn and admire the endless mountain views.
- Explore the Bond World 007 museum.
- Indulge in the lunch buffet at Piz Gloria, a revolving restaurant.
- Take the cable car back down, exploring the attractions on the way.
- At Birg Station, experience the Thrill Walk, carefully navigating along the cliff pathway.
- At Murren, enjoy one of the short hikes, such as the Flower Trail.
- At Stechelberg base station, walk to the foot of Murrenbach waterfall, the tallest waterfall in Switzerland.
Piz Gloria – The Top of the Schilthorn
It is only a 30-minute cable car ride from the Stechelberg base station to the Piz Gloria station. The station is at the Schilthorn peak, an elevation of 2970 meters.
Head outdoors to the Skyline View platform. Enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. On a clear day, you’ll be able to see over 200 mountain peaks, including the Jungfrau mountains.
Take just a few steps off the platform and touch the snow, even in the summer. There is always snow here, 365 days a year.
James Bond at the Schilthorn
The Schilthorn played a starring role in the James Bond film, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. The mountain top is the headquarters of Bond villain, Blofeld.
The Walk of Fame showcases the cast and crew members of the film. It starts just below the Skyline Viewing area and follows the ridge.
Back inside, the Bond World 007 museum displays Bond memorabilia. It describes the production and history of the 1969 Bond film. Test your skills in the helicopter attack simulator.
Even the washrooms have a James Bond theme. Signs direct users to “Aim Like James”. Toilet flushing is accompanied by James Bond theme music.
Piz Gloria Restaurant
The revolving restaurant sits at the top of the station. The name Piz Gloria is the fictional mountain peak in the 1969 film. It is both the name of the restaurant and the cable car station.
The restaurant revolves a full circle in 45 minutes allowing diners ever changing views. Enjoy your meal, the mountain views and the paragliders soaring in the distance.
The James Bond Brunch comes with complimentary champagne. We highly recommend this buffet.
Be sure to make a lunch buffet reservation before coming up the mountain at the cable car ticket office.
Thrill Walk – Birg
Stop at Birg Station, elevation 2677 meters, for some more excitement. The 200-metre pathway called the Thrill Walk sits below the station. Navigate a series of “see-through” pathways that hang over the edge of the cliff. Crawling through a chain link tube dangling over the abyss is not for the faint of heart.
If this sounds a bit too “thrilling”, admire the views from the Birg Skyline Walk. This platform extends out from the station providing more stunning panoramic views.
Visit the beautiful village of Murren, elevation 1638 meters. Walk along Murren’s ridge road, exploring the shops and restaurants along the way. Enjoy one of the short walks in the area, such as the Flower Trail. On this 20-minute interpretive trail, learn about the more than 150 species of mountain flowers that grow in the area. Try the Water Labyrinth, a race to get to the finish line without getting wet.
For a short hike, begin at Murren and walk downhill to the pretty town of Gimmelwald, about 30 minutes away.
Ride the cable car down to the floor of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and base station Stechelberg.
Lauterbrunnen Valley Waterfalls
The steep-sided valley is the ideal place to find incredibly high waterfalls. The word Lauterbrunnen translates to “many fountains”. The Lauterbrunnen Valley is home to an incredible 72 waterfalls.
Enjoy visiting one or all of these 3 stunning waterfalls, all located near the Schilthorn.
- Murrenbach Waterfall is one of the highest waterfall in Switzerland. This freefalling waterfall, not a cascade as previously thought, plunges 417 meters. It is located right beside Stechelberg cable car station. Walk the short path from the parking lot for an up-close look at this amazing waterfall.
- Staubbach Falls, located near the village of Lauterbrunnen, plunges 297 meters.
- Trummelbachfalle is a series of 10 glacier-fed waterfalls. Up to 20,000 litres of water per second drain from the nearby mountains, eroding the rock as it falls. A tunnel lift takes visitors to a pathway to experience the powerful forces of water.
Schilthorn – Know Before You Go
Where does the Schilthorn cable car start? How do I get to the base station?
The Schilthorn cable car begins at the Stechelberg base station.
By car, the drive from Interlaken to Stechelberg is 17 km.
By train, travel from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, then take the bus to Stechelberg. Another alternative from Lauterbrunnen is a cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp and a train from Grutschalp to Murren.
Where can I buy Schilthorn Tickets?
Purchase tickets for the Schilthorn cable car online at the Schilthorn website.
Tickets can also be purchased in person at the Stechelberg cable car station.
Don’t forget to make reservations for lunch too!
What will the weather be like at Schilthorn?
A clear day is the best day at the top of Schilthorn. Check the Weather at Schilthorn website where there is also a Live Webcam.
Interested in more Itineraries? Sign up here.